Address potential points of conflict early to save yourself and your siblings’ time, money, and stress throughout the home sale process.
Sit down together and come to a decision on all of the details below:
- Who’s responsible for preparing the house for sale
- Who’s funding the home sale expenses (and whether it will come from the estate)
- How you’ll split the proceeds
- How much the house is worth
- Who will give the go ahead to accept an offer
- Who will keep the home maintained (lawn mowed/house cleaned)
The best bet is to list out everyone’s duties during the settlement of the estate and come to an agreement on a fair division of the proceeds — even if it’s not equal. For example: If one person will be moving the lawn and cleaning the home, then maybe they will get a bit more of the money.
If you can’t come to an agreement, you may need to enlist the help of a professional mediator.